Kia ora koutou and thank you for your interest in the ‘Teaching Yoga for Health’ Training Program.
This program is the culmination of knowledge acquired by Barbara Coley over many years of study with her teachers and mentors A. G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda.
You will be taken on a journey through classical yoga combined with insights from modern science thus, ensuring that you are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach yoga in a modern day setting without losing the essence of the practice.
This training contains a strong focus on yoga psychology and philosophy as well as presenting sound information in asana, pranayama, meditation and teaching methodology.
As a Certified Yoga Therapist, Barbara will also give you an understanding of teaching therapeutic yoga so that your classes can be welcoming and inclusive to a range of people.
The primary focus of this program is to empower participants with skills from the art and science of yoga and Ayurveda to enhance personal wellbeing. Combined with your evolving practice, the knowledge you acquire throughout this program lays a firm foundation from which to teach others from the heart – with awareness, compassion, sensitivity and clarity.
You will receive a solid grounding in yoga practice, yoga theory and yoga teaching and be provided with:
- An experiential understanding of hatha yoga and the link between body, breath & mind – asana, pranayama, mantra, meditation & mindfulness.
- A deeper understanding of yourself and how to positively influence your own health and state of mind through yoga practice, yoga psychology, and Ayurveda
- Guidance in developing your own personalised yoga practice.
- Skills to teach group classes and private sessions safely and effectively.
- Skills in sequencing and adapting practices to suit particular themes and audiences.
- A comprehensive understanding of functional movement and functional anatomy.
- A solid understanding of teaching ‘yoga for health’.
- An introduction to the ancient science of Ayurveda.
- A platform from which to continue your studies in the field of Yoga Therapy.
This program will be of interest to:
- Yoga practitioners on a path of personal growth and wellbeing.
- Yoga practitioners interested in gaining the skills and knowledge with which to teach yoga to people of all ages and fitness levels.
- Yoga teachers who want a deeper understanding of the full spectrum of yoga practices – asana, pranayama, meditation, yoga psychology, etc.
- Yoga practitioners and teachers who wish to gain a deeper understanding of the Yoga of Krishnamacharya.
- Yoga practitioners and teachers interested in a sound platform for the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program.
Registrations for 2020 are now open
This program meets the Core Curriculum requirements of the new Yoga Alliance standards as follows:
Techniques, Training & Practice (75 hours)
- Function oriented approach to movement
- Combining breath & movement (traditional vinyasa system of Krishnamacharya)
- Core asanas essential for a health and fitness setting.
- Meditation, mindfulness and mantra
- Attending trainee group classes
Anatomy & Physiolology (30 hours)
- Functional anatomy as applied
- Anatomy of breathing
- Yoga energetics – nadis, prana, cakras and their relevance in yoga practice
Yoga Humanities (30 hours)
- Philosophy and psychology of yoga, based in the Yogasutras of Patanjali
- Overview of the Hatha Yoga Pradapika
- Sanskrit terminology: key words and concepts to facilitate and retain authenticity in teaching and transmission
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga in practice
- Lifestyle advice from Ayurveda
- Home study of texts
Professional Essentials (65 hours)
- Teaching skills – methodology & observation
- Developing a personal and creative approach to sequencing group classes and one-to-one sessions.
- Adaptation and sequencing for different needs
- Class planning, course planning
- Business skills
- Practice teaching a group class
Personal Practice & Mentoring:
Establishing and refining one’s personal practice is a key element of this program. During the training, you will meet with the Lead Trainer, Barbara Coley, for mentoring sessions that will support you in developing your personal practice and ensure that you are understanding the course material. These one to one sessions may take place in person or via Skype.
Registrations for 2020 are now open