Over the duration of this program, participants will gain
- Philosophy and psychology of yoga, based in the Yogasutras of Patanjali
- Sanskrit terminology:
key wordsand concepts to facilitate and retain authenticity in teaching and transmission
- Theory of asana practice
Function orientedapproach to movement in asanas: awareness, stability, alignment, stretching, mobilisation, daily life application.
- Traditional vinyasa system of Krishnamacharya, combining breath and movement.
- Nuances of using asanas in the larger yoga path.
- Core asanas essential for fitness and in a therapeutic setting.
- Preparation and balancing.
- Common and useful variations.
- Principles of sequencing from the traditional approach of Krishnamacharya and further developments from there.
- Foundations of personal course planning and sequencing for different needs.
- Developing your personal, creative approach to sequencing.
- Principles and practice of working with the breath effectively.
- Using asanas to prepare for pranayama.
- Important types of pranayama with hands-on practice.
- The Why, What & How of using sound:
- in asanas
- in meditation
- Theory of meditation and mindfulness: why, what, and how.
Practicinga core set of usefulmeditation techniques and skillfulmindfulness.
Anatomy and Physiology:
- Essential anatomy and physiology as applied to asanas.
- Practical and functional points only, leaving aside forgettable and non-relevant theory.
Chanting and Mantras:
- Importance and theory of chanting.
- Useful mantras for chanting and meditation.
- Learning some simple Vedic peace chants.
- Introduction to Ayurvedic doshas and
- Basic principles of Ayurveda including diet.
- Mudras and
bandhas: their importance and how to practice. Systemof nadis, prana, cakras, and their relevance to practice.
Establishing and refining one’s personal practice is a key element of this program. During the training, you will meet with the Lead Trainer, Barbara Coley, for mentoring sessions that will support you in developing your personal practice and ensure that you are understanding the course material. These one to one sessions may take place in person or via Skype.