move well | breathe well | live well
Yoga Therapy for Mental Health
Duration 30 hours
This master course will provide yoga teachers with the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to attend to students who are struggling with anxiety, depression, addictions, & trauma.
Anxiety, depression, and addictions having been on the rise for decades and continuing to increase yet, mental health is often a neglected priority in modern life.
The traditional perspective of yoga and ayurveda has always been to view mental health holistically. They recognise that anxiety, depression & addiction is not only in our minds but also in our bodies and senses, and also related to our environment and upbringing. Modern science also acknowledges these connections.
This course will cover neurobiology, medical perspectives, diagnostic labelling, and a comprehensive approach to anxiety, trauma, depression, and addiction. We will also dive into teaching skills for these conditions, including language for trauma, safety guidelines, strategies and protocols, case studies and more.
This course is a part of the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program and can be attended as part of the 300-hour Yoga Therapy foundations course or independently, as a continuing education program.
(pre-requisite modules: Breathe Well, Move Well, Rest, Rejuvenate & Feel Positive)
During this course, participants will:
- Understand the modern psychology diagnostic view of anxiety, depression, trauma, and addictions.
- Explore the stress response in detail from neurobiology, including polyvagal theory, to behaviour.
- Examine the current science behind depression, addictions, trauma, and anxiety.
- Understand the scientific rationale for a holistic, yoga-based approach.
- Map these disorders to imbalances of skills and functions using the holistic Svastha yoga map.
- Use a comprehensive Svastha yoga approach to create short-term strategies and long-term plans to help people with anxiety, trauma, depression, and addictions.
- Learn teaching skills for working with mental health, including trauma-sensitive language, safety guidelines, cueing and presentation, small group management, referral and support and more.
- Understand the traditional yoga and ayurveda approach to these imbalances.
The program is held over 4 days, 8.30am – 5.00pm daily
8th – 11th November 2024 (Friday – Monday)
Barbara Coley is an experienced and skilled yoga teacher, educator, & certified yoga therapist. She has a deep passion for sharing sound yoga practices that empower and promote well-being on all levels.
Barbara has been practising yoga since 1992 and teaching since 2007. She has deepened her understanding of yoga, and continues to do so, through extensive studies with A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda. She has also studied online with a number of renowned international teachers specialising in various fields including Vina Shah, Jean Campbell, Jivana Heyman, Amber Karnes, Tom Myers, Marlysa Sullivan, Amy Wheeler, Dianne Bondy, Tiffany Cruickshank, and more.
Barbara began her studies in Yoga Therapy with Dr Ganesh Mohan in 2010 and has been a practicing Certified Yoga Therapist since 2016. She is certified with with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand.
Barbara is grateful to be a personal student of A. G. Mohan & Indra Mohan and continues her studies and mentoring in yoga and yoga therapy with them and their son, Dr Ganesh Mohan. Barbara presents the Yoga for Svastha Yoga Teacher Training Program and the Svastha Yoga Therapy Training Program in Aotearoa.
Barbara’s yoga qualifications include:
- Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- E-RYT500 with Yoga Alliance
- Registered Senior Teacher with Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- Svastha Yoga Aotearoa is a Registered Training Provider with Yoga New Zealand and Yoga Alliance.