move well | breathe well | live well
Teaching Skills: Yoga Classes for
Duration 16 hours
Teaching yoga classes for therapeutic purposes requires cultivating specific skills that go beyond just teaching yoga. This master course will provide the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to design and teach individual and group classes for therapeutic needs.
Yoga therapy rests on a foundation of personalisation. As a yoga teacher or therapist, considering each individual client’s requirements with a holistic map, we can support students journey to greater wellbeing with practices that are beneficial to them in the short term and long term.
Apart from personal practice, group classes can also play an important role. The support of the group and the economics of lower cost are important benefits for the student.
As a teacher, group classes allow you to reach more students regularly. This is beneficial not only for business viability, but also as a service for those who need support, as a method of engaging the community, and to stay in touch with students more regularly. Therefore, both individual and group yoga classes are an important part of your repertoire as a yoga therapy teacher.
This course is a part of the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program and can be attended as part of the 300-hour Yoga Therapy foundations course or independently, as a continuing education program.
(pre-requisite modules: Breathe Well, Move Well, Rest, Rejuvenate & Feel Positive, Yoga for Mental Health)
- Establishing a safe and accessible teaching space.
- Devising intake requirements and considering a minimum baseline of capacities.
- Setting intention and tone for the class, individually and as a series.
- Class planning and sequencing.
- Tailoring instructions to reach multiple participants most effectively.
- Holding room for students to progress at a varying pace and managing different expectations.
- Modifying breathing, movements, meditation and other practices to accommodate multiple students.
- Cultivating presentation skills to ensure students follow the teachings clearly and effectively.
- Checking if therapeutic goals are being met and making changes as the classes continue.
This course will explore these skills and more, practically and in-depth.
The program is held over 2 days, 8.30am – 5.00pm daily
7th & 8th December 2024 (Saturday & Sunday)
Barbara Coley is an experienced and skilled yoga teacher, educator, & certified yoga therapist. She has a deep passion for sharing sound yoga practices that empower and promote well-being on all levels.
Barbara has been practising yoga since 1992 and teaching since 2007. She has deepened her understanding of yoga, and continues to do so, through extensive studies with A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda. She has also studied online with a number of renowned international teachers specialising in various fields including Vina Shah, Jean Campbell, Jivana Heyman, Amber Karnes, Tom Myers, Marlysa Sullivan, Amy Wheeler, Dianne Bondy, Tiffany Cruickshank, and more.
Barbara began her studies in Yoga Therapy with Dr Ganesh Mohan in 2010 and has been a practicing Certified Yoga Therapist since 2016. She is certified with with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand.
Barbara is grateful to be a personal student of A. G. Mohan & Indra Mohan and continues her studies and mentoring in yoga and yoga therapy with them and their son, Dr Ganesh Mohan. Barbara presents the Yoga for Svastha Yoga Teacher Training Program and the Svastha Yoga Therapy Training Program in Aotearoa.
Barbara’s yoga qualifications include:
- Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- E-RYT500 with Yoga Alliance
- Registered Senior Teacher with Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- Svastha Yoga Aotearoa is a Registered Training Provider with Yoga New Zealand and Yoga Alliance.