Yoga Teacher Training
200 hour Teacher Training & Personal Wellness Program
This 200-hour yoga teacher training program is for any yoga enthusiast who wants to understand the deeper layers of yoga and enrich their own practice and life.
First and foremost, this program is about your personal development through yoga. You will be supported and empowered throughout your journey with skills from the art & science of yoga to enhance personal wellbeing and nourish your thirst for sound knowledge.
You will receive a practical and theoretical understanding of yoga through yoga psychology, asana, pranayama, meditation, anatomy and basic teaching principles.
Combined with your evolving personal practice, this will give you a sound platform from which to commence your journey as a qualified yoga teacher and share your passion with others.
Areas of study include:
- Practice & theory of asana, pranayama, meditation & yogic mindfulness
- Functional anatomy as applies to yoga practice
- Yoga psychology – how to apply the ancient wisdom of the yogasutras to modern living.
- Skills in teaching group classes safely, effectively and inclusively
- Skills in sequencing and adapting practices to suit different needs
- An introduction to the ancient science of Ayurveda
- Developing your own personalised yoga practice with guidance
In addition, you will gain:
- A deeper understanding of yourself and how to positively influence your own health and state of mind through yoga practice, yoga psychology, and lifestyle advice from Ayurveda
- A platform from which to continue advanced yoga studies
- The opportunity to be part of a community on a similar journey
- A certificate of completion of 200 hour yoga teaching training to register with Yoga Alliance & Yoga New Zealand.
This program is open to anyone wishing to deepen their knowledge in yoga. Although there are no formal prerequisites to attending, due to the depth of material and personal commitment required, it is suggested that you have been practising yoga in some form, group classes etc., for at least 12 months.
It is also recommended that, wherever possible, you attend a number of Barbara’s classes to ensure that you have an affinity with the approach of Svastha Yoga New Zealand and Barbara’s teaching. If you are unable to do this, a Zoom meeting can be arranged to talk through any questions and gain a better understanding of the course intention and content.
Program Format & 2021 Dates
1) Group Intensives:
- 15th -17th January (3-day intensive)
- 13th -14th February
- 13th -14th March
- 17th – 18th April
- 15th – 16th May
- 19th – 20th June
- 16th – 18th July (3-day intensive)
2) Monthly Online Classes (via Zoom)
7 x 2.5-hour classes consisting of 1.5-hour practice, followed by 60-minute discussion.
- Last Monday of each month commencing 25th January 6.00pm – 8.30pm
3) One to One mentoring sessions
- 3 sessions throughout the program at mutually convenient timing.
4) Directed Home Study and Assignments
- 3 hours per month
TBA – dependent on numbers – will be in the Central Auckland area.
Assessment & Completion
Participants are required to attend at least 90% of training sessions to successfully graduate from this program.
Certification and Continuing Education
This program fulfills the Yoga Alliance’s 200-hour certification requirements and is currently in the process of being reviewed for registration with Yoga New Zealand.
On successful graduation, participants will be eligible to register with the Yoga Alliance at the 200 hour level and Yoga New Zealand as a Level 1 Yoga Teacher. This will enable them to publish a public profile on their respective websites.
Registration costs involved with both organisations are at the graduate’s own expense.
Registrations for 2021 are now open
Barbara Coley is an experienced and skilled yoga teacher with a passion for educating practitioners and yoga teachers in the art of sound yoga practices.
Barbara has been practising yoga since 1992 and teaching since 2007. She has deepened her understanding of yoga through extensive studies with her teachers and mentors, A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda.
Barbara has studied Yoga Therapy intensively [since 2010] with the Mohans’ son, Dr Ganesh Mohan, and is a Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand.
Barbara’s approach to teaching yoga is to encourage her students to move and breathe in a way that is both functional and easeful, leaving aside the idea that yoga has to be complicated or difficult.
In her role as an educator, Barbara encourages teachers & trainee teachers to question dogmatic approaches to teaching methods and alignment cues and to develop a deeper understanding of functional anatomy and how to use this understanding to foster a healthy approach to movement.
Barbara believes that yoga should be inclusive and accessible to all and promotes a sense of community in her classes and in her trainings.