Svastha Yoga Therapy | Module 1
Auckland | 24th – 28th June 2021
This professional program on yoga therapy brings you the most effective aspects of traditional yoga (based on the teachings of Krishnamacharya) and Ayurveda combined with modern medicine. Designed especially for yoga teachers and advanced practitioners, the program may also be of interest to people from related fields.
Specific guidelines for different conditions and general treatment principles will be detailed, empowering you to safely and effectively address disabilities and ill-health through yoga. The goal is to enable participants to integrate newly acquired knowledge immediately in their teaching, particularly in private sessions.
The program is delivered in 7 intensive modules (5 days for each module) with a flexible structure. Each module may be attended independently and certificates will be issued for each module.
It is possible to start your journey with any module however, it is recommended that you attend Module 1 before Module2, Module 3 before Module 4 and Module 5 before Module 6.
Module 1: Low Back, Pelvis, Hips & Lower Limb
1. Functional therapeutic anatomy of the lumbar spine, hips, knees, feet.
- What anatomy matters?
- Observation, palpation and assessment of structure & function.
- Making structure & function practical.
2. Function-oriented approach to the loco-motor system as applied to the above ares, The heart of practical teaching.
- Stress reduction
- Awareness and mind-body connection
- Functional alignment
- Strength, endurance, stability
- Release, support
- Daily life practices
3. Systematic presentation of disorders of the lumbar spine, pelvis, and lower limb, especially as relevant to yoga teachers: causes, development, typical presentation, functional approach, and guidelines. For example:
- Inter-vertebral disc problems
- Instability, facet joint problems
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Soft tissue related disorders (muscles, ligaments, tendons)
- Hip and knee arthritis
- Meniscal and ligament tears of the knee
- Dropped arches and hallux valgus
4. What a yoga teacher needs to know about modern medical treatments available and the role of surgery.
5. Neurobiological and systems perspective of dysfunction and pain as a complex output of the nervous system and other organ systems rather than a mechanical phenomenon, and how a holistic yoga approach helps to deal with it.
6. Connecting the principles of classical yoga with modern rehabilitation: taking a holistic view, trajectory of disorders, patterns of life imbalances, role of gunas and doshas etc
7. Outline of ayurvedic perspective and commonly used ayurvedic herbs.
Mode of Delivery:
In 2021, this program will be held in two formats:
- Online with Dr Guenter Niessen and Dr Ganesh Mohan – April 2021.(exact dates to be advised)
- Face-to-face in Auckland with Barbara Coley
Please note: only bookings for face-to-face trainings are handled by Svastha Yoga Aotearoa. Once bookings are open for online training, a link will be added above.
Earlybird: $747.50 incl GST (payable by 24th May 2021)
Regular: $805.00 incl GST
A deposit of $200 is required on registration in the program. This will reserve your place in the program and is seen as your commitment to attend, therefore, is non-refundable.
175 Garnet Road,