move well | breathe well | live well
Svastha Yoga Therapy Foundations
In-Depth 300-hour Yoga Teacher Training
In Person in Auckland or Live Online
Welcome to our advanced 300 Hour training for qualified yoga teachers! This comprehensive program aims to enhance your skills as a yoga teacher, empowering you to work adeptly, responsibly, and therapeutically in group and one-on-one sessions.
This program will deepen your understanding of how yoga practices can be utilised to optimise physical and mental well-being and empower you with the skills to work with individuals who may require a therapeutic approach. You’ll gain insights into tailoring your sessions to make them accessible to diverse populations, including students facing mental health challenges such as anxiety, extreme stress, or depression and those dealing with physical injuries or limitations.
Completing this course will elevate you into a highly skilled yoga teacher with an extensive knowledge base encompassing the physiological, neurological, and emotional impacts of yoga practices. This will enable you to cater to individuals who may not find mainstream classes suitable, providing them with personalised one-to-one sessions. You will learn to develop small group speciality classes for students dealing with similar symptoms, and additionally, you’ll be equipped to design mainstream classes that promote optimum health and well-being, fostering a loyal following of students.
In essence, this advanced training will empower you as a yoga teacher, enabling you to positively impact the lives of individuals facing various challenges while simultaneously fostering your own personal growth and fulfillment. We warmly welcome you to join us on this transformative and enriching journey.
This is a blended study program comprising 232 hours study, in-person in Auckland, or live online via Zoom, with Barbara Coley C-IAYT, of Svastha Yoga Aotearoa, PLUS 30 hours online study with Dr. Ganesh Mohan and 40 hours online mentoring & teachers guidance with the entire Mohan family (Svastha Yoga Ayurveda).
During the program, you will dive deep into modern science combined with traditional knowledge and practical skills in the following areas:
- Breathing – develop the skills to breathe well and lay the foundation for deeper breathing practices – pranayama, bandhas, etc.
- Respiratory & Cardiovascular Disorders – understand common respiratory and cardiovascular disorders and learn yoga therapy tools tools to assist students with these concerns.
- Movement – learn how to map the movement skills required to maintain physical health throughout life and how to address specific structural issues a yoga teacher will commonly face in their classes
- Rest and positive emotions – learn how to help your students wind down from high energy and activate from low energy, relax and slow down and build positive emotions.
- Awareness – dive deep into the yogic frameworks of awareness practices and comprehensively practice yogic mindfulness, and absorption. Understand the connections between yoga, modern positive psychology, and neurobiology.
- Mental health – develop the skills to confidently attend to students who are struggling with anxiety, depression, addictions & trauma
- Teaching skills – go beyond just teaching yoga and learn how to plan and teach yoga classes for specific therapeutic purposes, e.g. stress resilience, etc.
- The Foundations of Ayurveda with Dr Ganesh Mohan (live online)
- Live online mentoring with Dr. Ganesh Mohan, A. G. Mohan, Indra Mohan, and Nitya Mohan.
The Svastha Yoga Therapy Foundations programme is registered with Yoga Alliance and Yoga New Zealand at the 300-hour level. It is also the first and essential part of the full 800-hour Svastha Yoga Therapist certification (to be announced in 2023).
This internationally recognised programme has been developed by the Mohan family of Svastha Yoga Ayurveda, refined through their decades of study, practice ans practical experience. The 300-hour Svastha Yoga Therapy Foundations training lays the foundation for comprehensive knowledge and practice of yoga for wellbeing and therapy. The training is rooted in ancient wisdom, combined with modern science and extensive appication.
The full training consists of:
- 232 hours face-to-face study in-person training in Auckland
- 10 hours of personal mentoring (online or in-person)
- Occasional drop-ins via Zoom by Dr Ganesh Mohan
- Foundations of Ayurveda with Dr Ganesh Mohan – 30 hours live online study.
- Mentoring & Teacher’s Guidance with Dr Ganesh Mohan, A. G. Mohan and Indra Mohan – 40 hours live online @ 4 hours per month x 10 months.
This is a modular program available to complete as a singular discounted training over 9 months (click here for fees) Some modules may be attended individually for continuing education purposes.
Modules are presented in:
- 7 x 4-day intensives,
- 1 x 2-day intensive.
Each module is spaced approximately 5 weeks apart, providing ample time for practice and study between modules.
Please click on each image below for details, including dates & fees for individual module attendance.
Completion of all modules is required for the 300-hour Svastha Yoga Therapy Foundations certification.
Part 1) In Person Study with Barbara Coley
5th April 2024
Understand the holistic approach to yoga and Ayurveda to well-being. Learn effective ways to work with habit and change. Explore practical strategies to create transformation that will last. Study the foundations of the Svastha System with 10 domains and skills.
This course addresses the heart of well-being and yoga therapy. Read more.
6th – 8th April & 10th – 11th May 2024
Learn the yoga therapy and wellbeing skills needed to breathe well: natural breathing, deep breathing, abdominal and chest breathing, fast breathing, slow breathing, exhalation, inhalation, breath suspension, and more. Understand how to comprehensively and effectively teach these skills to others.
21st – 24th June & 26th – 29th July 2024
Map the movement skills that everyone needs, including awareness, strength, stability, release, range of motion, alignment, and more. For each of these skills, understand and put into practice a variety of healthy movement techniques. Work with all of the important body regions (spine, neck, shoulders, hips, upper limb, lower limb). Read more
6th – 9th September 2024
Wind down from high energy, activate from low energy. Relax by slowing down, cultivating safety, finding support, letting go of effort, visualizations, and more. Build positive emotions intelligently, including compassion, love, joy, and gratitude. Recognize the traditional yoga frameworks that guide these skills. Read more
18th – 21st October 2024
Understand the key types and ancient yoga frameworks of awareness practices. Comprehensively practice yogic mindfulness and meditation. Experience absorption practices in sight, mantra, breath, body, and positive emotions. Understand the connections between yoga and modern positive psychology and neurobiology. Read more
8th – 11th November 2024
This master course will provide yoga teachers with the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to attend to students who are struggling with anxiety, depression, addictions, & trauma. Read more
7th & 8th December 2024
Teaching yoga classes for therapeutic purposes requires cultivating specific skills that go beyond just teaching yoga. This master course will provide the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to design and teach individual and group classes for therapeutic needs. Read more
Part 2) Online Study with the Mohans
2024 dates to be advised
Learn the foundations of ayurveda for health maintenance and wellbeing direct from the ancient traditional sources made accessible. Understand the importance of nutrition and be guided in developing strategies for optimizing relationship to food and diet. Examine and implement lifestyle management of sleep, energy, daily activity, fasting, exercise, and sensory management for greater wellbeing from a traditional and modern scientific perspective.
LIVE ONLINE: MONTHY SUBSCRIPTION
The Mohan family present 3 online sessions per month to assist students in deepening and integrating skills, theory, and application of the holistic yoga approach. These are generally held on the last Saturday of every month, with two of the three sessions able to be attended in the NZ time zone.
For the 300-hour program, there is a minimum attendance of 40 hours however, students are welcome to continue with their monthly subscription for as long as desired..
Is this training for me?
You will benefit from this program if you are a yoga teacher, health coach, healthcare professional, or a serious yoga student.
- As a yoga teacher you will address the wellbeing needs of your students effectively, expand your teachings, and take key steps toward becoming a certified yoga therapist.
- As a health coach you will greatly expand your offerings to your clients with depth and clarity.
- As a healthcare professional (physiotherapist, psychologist, physician), you will learn how to take a practical, scientific, holistic view of health and bring that to your patients.
- As a serious yoga student, you will gain the skills to be well, systematically, lifelong, through yoga.
Please note: to apply for the full 300-hour programme, you must already have completed a 200-hour yoga teacher training programme or its equivalent. This does not apply if attending individual modules for personal interest.
What will I learn in this program?
Through Svastha Yoga Therapy, you will:
I. Learn and Apply Universal Wellbeing Skills in 10 Domains
- Map wellbeing comprehensively across 10 domains: Habit & Change, Awareness, Feelings, Thoughts & Words, Movement, Breathing, Nutrition, Senses & Lifestyle, Relationships, and Life Meaning.
- Transform yourself and your clients with extensive guided practices, reflections, daily life application, and more.
- Understand, practice, and combine the best of multiple approaches, both traditional and modern.
II. Dive Deep into Traditional Frameworks
- Study classical frameworks such as guṇa, doṣa, kleśa, mantra, mudra, nyāsa, devotion, eight limbs etc. from ancient wisdom.
- Understand the traditional perspectives of yoga with breadth, depth, and clarity from trusted and authentic sources.
III. Be Confident with Relevant Modern Science
- Understand relevant information from modern biology and medicine to work towards wellbeing and offer yoga therapy.
- Learn anatomy, physiology, systems-based thinking and more.
IV. Understand Major Disorders and Yoga Therapy Guidelines
- Understand major disorders: symptoms, pathology, progression, contraindications.
- Map modern diagnoses to a holistic, skills-based approach.
- Strategize and choose pathways to manage patterns of imbalances.
- Understand the traditional approach to major disorders.
V. Receive Ongoing Mentoring and Guidance for Teachers & Therapists
- Acquire comprehensive client assessment skills.
- Learn to design practices and sequences for different needs.
- Establish effective communication and therapeutic relationship.
- Delivering accessible skills in multiple ways.
- Understand contraindications and guide clients safely.
- Gain practical insights through case studies and ongoing mentoring.
300-hour certification is dependent on the completion of all modules contained in the 300-hour Svastha Yoga Therapy Foundations Programme and the successful completion of assessment tasks. Assessments comprise essays and multiple choice examinations.
The following fees are for those students wishing to attend the full 300-hour program.
Modules may be also attended singularly, please open module content above for individual pricing.
- Fees for the portion of the programme presented in Aotearoa are payable to Svastha Yoga Aotearoa and include GST.
- Fees for the portion of the programme that consists of direct study with the Mohans are payable to Svastha Yoga Ayurveda in USD and are zero-rated for GST.
1) NZ Fees:
- Earlybird – $4,495 available until 17th January 2024
- Regular Price – $4,995
- (Payment plan available; discussed and agreed on an individual basis.)
A $500 deposit is required on registration. This reserves your place in the programme and is considered your commitment to attend therefore is not refundable.
- Fees for the Aotearoa training are payable to Svastha Yoga Aotearoa Limited, either by Direct Bank Transfer or Credit Card.
Refund Policy (Aotearoa Studies only):
- A full refund of monies paid less the non-refundable deposit, for withdrawal prior to the earlybird date.
- 25% refund of monies paid less the non-refundable deposit, for withdrawal after early bird date and prior to the commencement of the programme.
- No refunds after the programme commencement.
2) Fees for Online Study with the Mohans:
- Ayurveda, Lifestyle & Nutrition Module – US$300.00
- Teachers Guidance & Mentoring 2 x 2-hour sessions per month – US$20 per month 40 hours minimum is necessary to complete the 300-hour yoga therapy training programme, however, you may choose to do more if you wish.
- Fees for the Online training with Dr Ganesh Mohan (Foundations of Ayurveda module) are payable directly to Svastha Yoga and Ayurveda when enrolment is opened (timing to be advised)
- Fees for the monthly mentoring & teaching guidance sessions with the Mohan Family, are paid monthly by subscription to Svastha Yoga and Ayurveda, commencing from the first month of training.
175 Garnet Road,
Live online with Barbara via Zoom.
What past students say:
I have been a student of the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program since 2015, and in 2018 completed the 300-hour Foundations of Therapeutic Yoga with Barbara Coley and Dr Ganesh Mohan.
As a Yoga Teacher with an interest in offering yoga that is relevant and accessible to the community within which I teach, I found this programme immensely valuable. Not surprisingly, this course has also been very beneficial to me on a personal level; the spacing of the modules worked particularly well for imbedding the knowledge and skills into my own life and my teaching. The in-depth face-to-face training I have received in Auckland has been greatly supported via ongoing mentoring with Barbara.
A strength of this programme is that it has been co-developed, rigorously peer-reviewed, and taught over the past decade by several Senior Svastha Yoga teachers. These individuals have contributed their own knowledge and experience from eastern and western modalities. This approach is further enhanced by consideration of the relevant cultural context within which the programme is being taught and the learning applied.
The curriculum and teaching provide clarity with respect to what is ‘Yoga’ versus ‘Yoga Therapy’ and scope of practice. I found this particularly useful given it is an emerging field, especially in New Zealand.
Whether your interest is personal, from the perspective of a Yoga Teacher, or work in human health, I highly recommend this programme.
Barbara Coley C-IAYT is an experienced and skilled yoga teacher with a passion for educating practitioners and yoga teachers in the art of sound yoga practices. She has been practising yoga for 30+ years and teaching since 2007. She is a personal student of A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda, and has deepened her understanding of yoga, and continues to do so, through extensive studies with the Mohan family.
Barbara began her studies in Yoga Therapy with Dr Ganesh Mohan in 2010 and has been a practicing Certified Yoga Therapist since 2016. She has presented Svastha Yoga Therapy modules in Aotearoa since 2019.
Barbara is a Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand. For more information on Barbara’s teachers, please visit the official website of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda.