move well | breathe well | live well
Rest, Rejuvenate & Feel Positive
Duration 30 hours
This course will give you the knowledge, practice, and skills to balance energy levels, find deep rest and restoration, and cultivate positive emotions and sensations of compassion, joy, gratitude, and more.
Typically, in modern life, the bias is towards being in a constant state of ‘doing’ and many people are in a constant state of over-activation.
Industrialisation, technology and especially now, social media, are constantly pushing us towards ceaseless activity. This has made the capacity to rest very valuable, but increasingly difficult to cultivate.
Many people are overwhelmed, and find it hard to maintain their energy levels, find rest and bring positive feelings to their minds and body.
During this course you will learn ancient wisdom underpinning these topics in yoga, explore modern and practical applications, and develop your teaching skills to help yourself and your students live more restfully.
This course is a part of the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program and can be attended as part of the 300-hour Yoga Therapy foundations course or independently, as a continuing education program.
During this course, participants will:
- Learn to balance your energy levels from being low or high to a neutral and functional state.
- Understand and practice rest, deep rest, and restoration.
- Cultivate positive emotions and sensations in mind and body including compassion, love, joy, and gratitude.
- Develop teaching skills for all the above.
- Understanding emotion, valence, energy, and the connection to the yogic frameworks of guna-s and klesa-s.
- Winding down from high energy: using your body, breath, senses to recover balance. How to meet high energy level where it is and chart multimodal stepdown.
- Activating from low energy: using your body, breath, senses to recover. How to meet low energy level where it is and chart multimodal step up.
Cultivating deep rest and recovery:
- safety and letting go.
- support and release.
- mobilization and ease.
- visualization for relaxation.
- surrendering effort
- and more techniques of deep rest.
Cultivating positive emotions
- Exploring the role and importance of positive emotions in wellbeing.
- Understanding the traditional presentation of positive emotions in yoga.
- Growing compassion, joy, love, gratitude and more.
- Understanding the challenges in cultivating positive emotions.
- Working with therapeutic applications of positive emotion practices.
- Understanding the stress response and its role in activation, regulation, and shut down:
- sympathetic nervous system, activation, mobilization responses.
- parasympathetic nervous system, relaxation, immobilization responses
- polyvagal theory, heart rate variability
- window of tolerance, resilience
The program is held over 4 days, 8.30am – 5.00pm daily
6th – 9th September 2024 (Friday – Monday)
Prices include GST
Barbara Coley is an experienced and skilled yoga teacher, educator, & certified yoga therapist. She has a deep passion for sharing sound yoga practices that empower and promote well-being on all levels.
Barbara has been practising yoga since 1992 and teaching since 2007. She has deepened her understanding of yoga, and continues to do so, through extensive studies with A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda. She has also studied online with a number of renowned international teachers specialising in various fields including Vina Shah, Jean Campbell, Jivana Heyman, Amber Karnes, Tom Myers, Marlysa Sullivan, Amy Wheeler, Dianne Bondy, Tiffany Cruickshank, and more.
Barbara began her studies in Yoga Therapy with Dr Ganesh Mohan in 2010 and has been a practicing Certified Yoga Therapist since 2016. She is certified with with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand.
Barbara is grateful to be a personal student of A. G. Mohan & Indra Mohan and continues her studies and mentoring in yoga and yoga therapy with them and their son, Dr Ganesh Mohan. Barbara presents the Yoga for Svastha Yoga Teacher Training Program and the Svastha Yoga Therapy Training Program in Aotearoa.
Barbara’s yoga qualifications include:
- Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- E-RYT500 with Yoga Alliance
- Registered Senior Teacher with Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- Svastha Yoga Aotearoa is a Registered Training Provider with Yoga New Zealand and Yoga Alliance.