move well | breathe well | live well
Master Course on Yoga Therapy for Locomotor Issues
This 60-hour course will take you through important skills of functional movement for each region of the body, the major disorders that arise in those regions, and the yoga therapy approach to managing them. These same skills help us to keep our locomotor system healthy and moving well for life.
This comprehensive master course is specifically designed for yoga teachers and practitioners seeking a deep understanding of the theory, science, and practice of optimal movement.
Throughout the course, you will acquire essential locomotor skills necessary for promoting healthy movement patterns. These skills will be honed through guided exercises and teaching practice, allowing you to confidently integrate them into your own practice and instruction.
An integral part of the curriculum is the exploration of functional anatomy. You will gain in-depth knowledge of key body regions and pathways, empowering you to effectively address imbalances and tailor movement practices to individual needs. Safety guidelines and contraindications for various locomotor system disorders will also be covered, ensuring your ability to adapt practices accordingly.
In addition to these foundational elements, this course encourages an inquisitive approach to movement. You will delve into the realms of mindful movement, functional anatomy, and functional movement. By questioning dogmatic alignment cues and teaching methodologies, you will foster a deeper understanding and application of movement principles.
Upon completion of this master course, you can expect to possess a profound understanding of moving well, an enhanced proficiency in locomotor skills, and the ability to create customized yoga experiences that prioritize individual needs and promote optimal movement patterns.
This course is a part of the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program and can be attended as part of the 300-hour Yoga Therapy foundations course or independently, as a continuing education program.
During this course, participants will:
- Learn the locomotor skills needed to move well.
- Receive guided exercises, observation and assessment, and teaching practice for those skills.
- Understand the necessary functional anatomy of key body regions.
- Learn decision pathways to work with imbalances of these body regions.
- Appreciate the implication of major locomotor system disorders and diagnoses and learn how to approach them.
- Understand safety and contraindications along with each skill and disorder-based management.
- Understanding, practicing, and teaching the skills of moving well:
- pain-management as needed
- awareness & exploration
- relaxation, release
- mobilization, easing movement
- stability, control
- strength, endurance
- range of movement, stretching
- alignment for safe and effective force transmission and loading
- balance, gait
- agility, speed and responsiveness
- coordination, increasing complexity
- positive emotion and supportive dialogue toward the body
- breathing to support moving well
- play, exploration, intrinsic reward
- Learning and teaching guided exercises for each of these regions to develop important movement skills, with a holistic focus:
- low back
- mid & upper back
- elbow, wrist & hand
- ankle & foot
- Learning and teaching guided practices combining multiple movement skills for a region and across regions.
- Appreciating safety and contraindications in teaching and practice.
- Observing a student, assessing locomotor imbalances, and working with decision pathways or protocols for managing those imbalances.
- Working with major locomotor disorders such as:
- lumbar spine (chronic low back pain, disc herniation, sciatica, facet joint dysfunction, hyperlordosis, spondylolisthesis)
- thoracic spine (hyperkyphosis, stiffness, facet joint dysfunction)
- cervical spine (head forward alignment, disc herniation, nerve compression)
- shoulder (impingement, rotator cuff tears, instability)
- elbow, hand (epicondylitis, carpal tunnel syndrome)
- sacroiliac pain and dysfunction
- hip (fracture, alignment, soft tissue imbalances)
- knee (IT band, meniscal tears, ligament strains)
- dropped arches, hallux valgus
- Understanding the tissues of the locomotor system: fascia, cartilage, bones, muscles, ligaments, joints, nerves.
- Appreciating the global organization of movement: tension, compression, tensegrity and integration; prediction, feedback, neural control; development of movement.
- Understanding the science of key locomotor skills.
The program is 60 hours in duration and held over 8 days:
8.30am – 5.00pm daily
21st – 24th June 2024 (Friday – Monday) & 26th – 29th July (Friday – Monday)
Prices include GST
Barbara Coley is an experienced and skilled yoga teacher, educator, & certified yoga therapist. She has a deep passion for sharing sound yoga practices that empower and promote well-being on all levels.
Barbara has been practising yoga since 1992 and teaching since 2007. She has deepened her understanding of yoga, and continues to do so, through extensive studies with A.G. Mohan and Indra Mohan of Svastha Yoga & Ayurveda. She has also studied online with a number of renowned international teachers specialising in various fields including Vina Shah, Jean Campbell, Jivana Heyman, Amber Karnes, Tom Myers, Marlysa Sullivan, Amy Wheeler, Dianne Bondy, Tiffany Cruickshank, and more.
Barbara began her studies in Yoga Therapy with Dr Ganesh Mohan in 2010 and has been a practicing Certified Yoga Therapist since 2016. She is certified with with the International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand.
Barbara is grateful to be a personal student of A. G. Mohan & Indra Mohan and continues her studies and mentoring in yoga and yoga therapy with them and their son, Dr Ganesh Mohan. Barbara presents the Yoga for Svastha Yoga Teacher Training Program and the Svastha Yoga Therapy Training Program in Aotearoa.
Barbara’s yoga qualifications include:
- Certified Yoga Therapist with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- E-RYT500 with Yoga Alliance
- Registered Senior Teacher with Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand
- Svastha Yoga Aotearoa is a Registered Training Provider with Yoga New Zealand and Yoga Alliance.