Mindful Pregnancy Yoga Teacher Training
This training program provides yoga teachers and birthing professionals a holistic understanding of how to assist pregnant women throughout their journey to motherhood and beyond, using the tools of yoga.
The specialised knowledge contained in this program is comprehensive in practice and theory, giving graduates a profound understanding of how to adapt yoga practices to suit pre-conception, pregnancy, birthing and post-natal. Just as importantly, they will learn how to help women draw upon their inner resources and approach this time with confidence, empowerment and grace.
This program approaches pregnancy yoga teaching holistically, with cultural and societal awareness. Yoga teachers will develop practical skills and the confidence to teach our mamas-to-be with sensitivity and heart.
The aim of this training is to promote the safe teaching of yoga during all stages of pregnancy, and nourish trainees as they gain confidence in developing their highly individual approach to teaching.
Combine your passion for women’s health and yoga!
The Benefits of Mindful Yoga During Pregnancy
- Yoga psychology as a tool for empowerment and emotional stability
- The importance of slowing down and turning inwards
- Yoga as a complimentary practice to hypno-birthing and calm birthing practices
- Yoga as a practice for both mama and baby
Understanding Women During Pregnancy
- The impact of pregnancy – physically, emotionally, spiritually
- External influences
- Societal patterning & conditioning
- Cultural views on pregnancy, labour and birth
- Familial influence
- Spiritual and religious beliefs
Yoga & Ayurveda
- The role of natural movement and physical activity during pregnancy
- Modifying yoga practice to suit each stage of pregnancy
- Maintaining and building structural integrity
- Teaching for two – ensuring the comfort of both mama and baby
- Beneficial postures and breathing techniques
- Contra-indicated postures and breathing techniques
- Restorative postures and rest
- Yoga postures as labouring and active birth positions.
- Core and pelvic floor conditioning
- Sound – mantras and vocal toning
- Ayurvedic remedies and lifestyle practices that support and nourish
The Anatomy & Physiology of Pregnancy
- Development of baby – 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimester milestones
- The role and effects of hormones throughout pregnancy
- Structural changes occurring during pregnancy
- Anatomy of the pelvis
- Pelvic floor muscles – function and attachments
- Late pregnancy hormonal shift
- Optimal Foetal Positioning – normal presentations of baby within the pelvis
Common Physical Responses to Pregnancy | When & How Yoga Can Help
- Carpel Tunnel
- Low iron
- Sleep disturbance
- Symphysis pubis discomfort
Labour & Birthing
- Baby’s role and responses
- Hormonal shift and signalling
- Work and role of the womb and pelvic floor muscles
- Natural instinctive movement in labour
- Advantages of active, upright, empowered birthing
Delivering Classes with Sensitivity
- The vital importance and influence of language
- Speaking with compassion
- Encouraging and developing confidence and empowerment
- Holding a safe and supportive space for each woman in your class
- Designing and teaching pregnancy yoga classes that nourish and support each woman
- Sequencing your class
- Using verbal and body language that is inclusive and reassuring
- Creating community
- The role of yoga in helping women facing infertility issues
- Working with women facing fertility challenges
- Working with women post vaginal birthing
- Working with women post C-section delivery
- Yoga postures and breath work to encourage structural reintegration and ease physical tension
- Practices to support new mamas emotionally
1) 4 day group intensive
2) 2 x 3 hours live online classes
3) 5 hours directed home study
1) 4-day Intensive: 8th – 11th April 2021, 8.30am – 5.00pm
2) Online Classes: Saturday 24th April & 8th May 2021, 9.00am – 12.00pm
3) Directed Self Study – completion by 1st May 2021
Group Intensive Location:
175 Garnet Road,
Regular Price $950
Earlybird Price $862.50 (full payment prior to 15th March 2021)
A deposit of $200 is due on registration. This is your commitment to attend the program and is therefore non-refundable.
Barbara Coley is one of New Zealand’s most experienced pregnancy and post-natal yoga teachers and has been teaching pregnancy yoga since 2006. Over this period, she has combined both her passion for women’s health and yoga, and supported many, many women as they journey through pregnancy to motherhood and beyond.
Barbara is a Yoga Therapist certified with IAYT, Yoga Australia and Yoga New Zealand. She presents accredited Yoga Teacher Training and Professional Development Programs and also teaches the Svastha Yoga Therapy Program in New Zealand.
She is passionate about educating and empowering new and experienced yoga teachers with skills and knowledge that will help them become exceptional yoga teachers; to teach with clarity, awareness, sensitivity and heart.
Barbara is the lead teacher of this program, assisted by Deborah Browne.
Barbara’s yoga qualifications include:
Deborah Browne is a Childbirth Educator and Doula with several years of experience supporting, promoting and advocating for women throughout their pregnancy, birthing and postnatal journeys.
Deborah works with women and their families facilitating pregnancy and postnatal classes and workshops, and in her role as a birth and postnatal Doula. This work involves stepping forward to educate, and to tautoko and awhi – to provide practical and emotional support, encircle, enable and encourage – and to hold space for women throughout the sacred journey of pregnancy, birthing and into motherhood.
Her training and experience has given Deborah a comprehensive foundation of understanding of the importance for women to thoroughly prepare for their individual journeys through their pregnancies, as they bear their children into the world, and as they transition into motherhood.
Deborah is a 200-hour yoga teacher and is currently studying Yoga Therapy.