“Teach what is appropriate to the individual” ~ Sri T. Krishnamacharya
private yoga instruction and yoga therapy
Barbara offers private yoga lessons and yoga therapy sessions from her home studio in Grey Lynn.
Whereas a typical studio group class does not always meet the unique needs of the student, one on one instruction, in traditional teacher-student style, empowers practitioners to achieve their practice goals in a manner that embraces their individuality.
Some of the benefits private instruction can offer:
- Self -care! – be actively involved in your own well-being
- Be guided and supported by a practice that supports the needs of your body and mind.
- Practice at your own pace and come to appreciate your own body and breath.
- Address specific health issues or injuries.
- Learn in a setting where you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Develop a home practice
- Explore the deeper aspects of yoga – pranayama, mudras & bandhas, mindfulness, meditation & more
- Professional development: deepen your knowledge and improve your skills in yoga teaching.
Barbara will design a practice specifically tailored to meet your needs. You will be provided with a comprehensive, visual & written plan to follow in the comfort of your own home.
The plan will generally include a breath centered movement practice including postures that are accessible and comfortable for you, breathing exercises to help reduce stress levels in body & mind and depending on your requirements, other recommendations e.g. meditation, diet, lifestyle etc., may also be included.
how it works
For the best results, Barbara recommends an initial commitment of at least 3 sessions however, single sessions are also available.
During the first session, we will discuss your specific needs and the goals you wish to achieve. We will explore where you are now regarding experience and abilities, so that the practice prescribed enables optimum progress towards to your goals. Barbara will then provide you with a program, including suitable postures and breathing, for you to practice at home.
During the next and subsequent session/s, we will review & fine tune your practice, add or subtract postures as necessary and continue to refine movement & breathing.
Barbara is also happy to arrange semi-private sessions for you and a friend or two.
Private Yoga Instruction Costs:
- Private yoga instruction – $90 per hour
- Prepay 3 sessions – $250
- Prepay 5 sessions – $405
- 2 people – $120
- Small groups – up to 5 people (offsite) – $140 (within 10 kilometres)
- Corporate yoga classes: $175 per hour (within 10 kilometres)